Ryuu Martial Arts
Karate for Kids:
Karate for Kids:
In a culture that seems to glorify violence in everything from music to video games and television shows, the idea of enrolling your child in martial arts training classes doesn’t always seem like a good one. While martial arts-centered action films seem to be filled to the brim with violent behavior and gory injuries, you may be surprised to learn that martial arts’ training is actually very beneficial to kids. Like so many other things that Hollywood doesn’t always get right, martial arts isn’t quite the brutal, vicious pastime that it seems. In fact, these are 10 of the reasons why you may want to consider martial arts training for your kids.
1. Fostering Self-Discipline – One of the central tenets of all forms of the martial arts is an absolute focus on self-discipline. Today’s kids are so accustomed to receiving instant gratification that lessons in self-restraint and discipline aren’t always easy to come by. Kids with a martial arts background, however, are continually reminded of how essential self-discipline is.
2. Boosting Socialization Skills – Kids who don’t always thrive in highly social environments may find it easier to get to know people and make new friends when they’re in a room filled with peers who share a common interest. The kids on the playground may not always have much common ground, but devotees to the martial arts are able to get to know one another through shared pursuits. Partner-driven forms like jiu Jitsu can also foster camaraderie, as they force kids to pair off and build their skills together.
3. Encouraging Physical Activity – Limiting screen time is a great idea when it comes to getting kids off the couch and encouraging them to be more active, but it only goes so far. Enrolling an inactive child in such a physically demanding pastime not only discourages the sedentary lifestyle they’re used to, but also gives them an enjoyable activity that inspires them to keep moving.
4. Learning to Set and Achieve Goals – Most forms of martial arts are based around an accomplishment system of colored belts that signify the wearer’s degree of skill. When your child strives toward each new belt, he’s learning valuable lessons about setting and reaching his goals.
5. Increased Self-Esteem – Confidence comes with achievement, so your child’s self-esteem level will get a boost with every new move he masters and every belt he earns. Kids who struggle with a low sense of self-worth usually become more confident as time progresses while they’re enrolled in a martial arts class.
6. Instilling a Sense of Respect – Learning any martial arts style will require your child to show their instructor unflinching respect. Today’s kid culture doesn’t always include respect for authority, adults or those in advanced positions. When they go to karate, aikido or jiu jitsu class, though, your child will be learning lessons in respect along with new moves.
7. Encouraging Non-Violent Conflict Resolution – Thinking that martial arts instruction promotes violent behavior is justified if your only experience with the activity comes from television or movies. In fact, many defensive styles teach kids peaceful, non-violent conflict resolution skills and emphasize the importance of avoiding a physical altercation.
8. Improving Listening Skills – In order to master the skills kid’s are being taught and advance through the belt ranks, your child will have to exercise superior listening skills. Kids who aren’t always adept when it comes to paying attention to what they’re told can benefit from the verbal instruction and one-on-one work in the dojo.
9. Developing Teamwork Skills – Whether he’s breaking boards to get a new belt or sparring in a practice setting to master a new maneuver, there are few things that your child does in his martial arts classes that will be done on his own. Working together to learn new things and accomplish goals is an important life lesson for kids to learn, and instruction in the martial arts can help your child learn that lesson.
10. Improvement in Other Areas of Life – The benefits of martial arts training don’t end in the dojo. The boost in confidence, increased fitness level and new cooperation skills will also help your child navigate the academic and social aspects of school, affect his behavior at home and have an all-around good influence on him as he develops into an adult.
We offer the Best Karate Training for kids of all ages... A lot of parents struggle with whether or not they should send their kids to a dojo to train. They often conjure scenes of bloody violence and having a future bully at their dinner table. The facts remain the same that students who train in martial arts are safer than the majority of other school sports. They learn discipline; fairness and accountability while in the dojo and try to bring those concepts into their daily lives. Kids benefit from regular exercise, look better and feel more fit and confident. Karate training can give children unique and wonderful health benefits as they grow, forming the basis of a lifetime of enjoyment and healthy habits.
Karate training builds cardiovascular fitness, and strength and flexibility like most sports. But it also particularly builds perfect body awareness and control, precision in movement, and speed and strength. At the same time, it builds inner well being and self-esteem. As a traditional art, the focus is on respect for oneself, one's peers, and one's teachers, discipline, and rigorous self-examination and improvement. More than any other sport for children, karate and its inherent values counteract the "win at all costs" mentality so common in sports today. These values alone with the individual pacing can make karate particularly hopeful for children who struggle with attention and behavior. Doctors have actually prescribed it for children with ADHD.
Multiple Services Are Offered in Karate for Kids Martial Arts are the perfect way to give your child confidence and improve their self-discipline. The students that are training in the martial arts will be developing their bodies into living self defense weapons. Karate meaning empty hand develops those hands into the perfect tool as weapons through the unique conditioning designed to make punching and striking less painful without deforming the hands or creating unsightly blemishes.
Part of learning martial arts starts with teaching the student how to stand (dachi) in given situations that are unique to the martial arts. Ryuu Martial Arts employs many different dachi / stances that give our students the combative advantage in any given situation.
Additionally, from a self defense perspective our students are taught to defend themselves from attacks from punches, strikes and kicks by employing exceptional means of defending themselves through blocks developed over a thousand years that can be used in a combat situation.
To ensure that our students don’t fall victim to an attack, we teach them how to protect themselves using tactical combative techniques using punches, strikes, kicks, throws, takedowns, joint locks, pressure points manipulations and many more self defense applications.
Our program teaches your child the life skills of self-defense, which can help them, feel more at ease while facing the challenges of growing up. We use a combination of proven techniques and self-defense training while maintaining an emphasis on safety and fun to keep your child feeling challenged but also, calms and secure.
Our Program is designed to not only be a physical workout, but one that will strengthen your child's mind as well. We focus on traits like concentration, self-respect, and respect for others. These traits will develop and strengthen as your child work through our martial arts program. Our Program fosters this growth by working with each child at their own pace in a positive and disciplined environment.
Working through our Martial Arts Program you will notice that your child will show improved stress management, be less inclined to suffer ADD symptoms, and show a well-developed sense of respect for themselves and others.
At Ryuu Martial Arts classes are devoted to the development of young minds and bodies. We encourage each child to excel in all they do but allow them to progress at his or her own individual pace. A disciplined class is the key to developing the confidence; self-assurance and independence that each child needs to become the leaders of tomorrow.
This program is truly designed to improve your child's life by developing the following:
- Developing Leaders
- Develops Real Self-Defense
- Develops Anti-Bullying Strategies
- Develops Self Confidence
- Develops Discipline
- Develops Greater Respect for Others
- Develops Better Focus
- Develops Better Grades and Study Habits
- Develops a Strong Body and Good Health
- Develops More strength and Flexibility
- Develops Self Control
- Develops Self Awareness
- Develops Self-Esteem
- Develops Improved Health and Fitness
- Increased Physical Abilities and Skills
- Develops Weight Loss
- It's a Ton of Fun!!
- And Much More…
All of our classes are taught by certified black belt instructors from multiple disciplines and styles of the martial arts. Our school operators are Master Black Belt Instructors (The highest credentials in the field of Martial Arts) All of our instructors are certified as black belts in multiple styles of the martial arts and embrace the traditions and carry out the correct interpretation of the Martial Arts.
Our Kids Know How to Stop the Bullying
Our curriculum includes training that is age appropriate for children but still provides the self defense skills to emerge successful in any confrontation. This program was created to answer parent's question: "How can I keep my child from being bullied?"
Bullying can have devastating effects on children and even adults. It effects them academically, emotionally, physically (stomach aches, Etc.), and psychologically.
The emotional and psychological effects of being bullied can carry on into adulthood. Bullying is a serious matter and needs to be addressed. Unfortunately, most children do not report being bullied because they are embarrassed, they don't believe anyone can help them and they fear retaliation for reporting the bully; some fear their parent(s) will be ashamed of them for not standing up for themselves and some because they fear the parent’s involvement will make matters worse.
During the training we will work on understanding what bullying is and how it affects us, we'll learn verbal and non-verbal communication skills and the appropriate time to use them, identify the child's reaction when the "hot buttons" get pushed, and how that reaction benefits the bully. Students will learn new non-violent techniques to use to avoid being bullied.
The second half of the class will focus on self-defense techniques and while I do not promote fighting, there may be a time when you are given no choice. Learning new skills involves commitment and some practice. Your child will learn techniques taught by the Verbal Judo Institute for the past 28 years, and although the training was originally created for law enforcement personnel, the principles are the same for the civilian program. Change and learning something new can be scary and hard, but trying to avoid a bully or bullies all day is even harder and far more stressful.
You Are Never Too Young to Get Started
Our kid’s karate programs are so much more than teaching kids how to do a cool kick, it's all about your child's development. We have something for everyone and are dedicated to the success of our students.
If you’re still concerned about encouraging violent tendencies or teaching your child to fight, it may be helpful to visit our dojo in Cocoa at 1279 West King St. Speak with the instructors, administrators and other parents to get an idea of how things operate, and hold off on forming a negative opinion of the martial arts until you’ve done a bit of exploratory research
Visit us for a tour and to sign up for our ONE WEEK FREE TRIAL!
Military Personnel, Law Enforcement, Fire and Rescue, Brevard County Employees: 10%2 Siblings: 5% (same as 10% off 2 children) 3+ Siblings: 10% (same as 10% off 2 child plus 20% off 3 children) Special parent price to take class with your child. Ask us for details.
***Discounts cannot be combined***
Contact us - 321-302-9560 - - Ryuu Martial Arts
1279 W. King St. (SR 520) Cocoa, FL 32922
Ryuu Martial Arts - All rights reserved